August 9, 2008

Katie Mann - Blog Hostess Aug 10th

Well, we're on to day 2 already! I get the feeling that this week is going to fly by quickly. I promised to tell you more about myself, so here we go.

I've been scrapbooking since right after I got laid off 5 1/2 years ago. At first it was a great escape to go to the crops at my local scrapbook store one night a week. After being with Austin for 24 hours a day, 6 days a week (my husband has always only had Sundays off), I was ready for a break one night a week! The more I scrapbooked, the more I liked it, and eventually I was selling paper page sets on eBay for a little extra cash.

Four years ago, our house caught fire. We lived with my sister-in-law for about 6 weeks, and then her son came home from school and needed his room back, so it was time to move on. We moved into a 2 room suite in a hotel and lived there for about 3 months. With my computer on the dinette table, and a tiny coffee table being the only other flat surface, paper scrapping became impossible. One of my friends who was also selling page sets on eBay told me about digital designing. I had been doing graphic design for a number of years, so I applied what I knew and designed my first kit, Shabby Baby Boy, and I've never looked back.

It took me a long time to develop my own sense of style, because for so many years, my designing was customer driven, since it was mostly for website design. I was truly surprised when I realized one day that I do actually have a style of my own, though I'd be at a loss to describe it!

I am constantly amazed at the huge number of wonderful people that are involved in digi. From the customers to the store owners to the other designers that I've worked with, I realize how blessed I've been to meet everyone that I've come into contact with in this business.

I hope that you enjoy today's offering from the Sunny Skies Key Plate Album, and I'll talk to you more tomorrow!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 10 Aug [LA 12:00am, NY 02:00am, UK 07:00am, OZ 05:00pm] ).

Suz :) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aleah'sMommy said...

I am so sorry to hear your house burnt down. But I am glad to hear you are doing well. Thank you for day 2 of the album. I hope all keeps going well for you & I look forward to reading mroe about you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for page 2 to this neat album!

Enjoy reading about you - it's interesting to know a little about the person behind all the gorgeous designs - thanks for sharing.